Thursday, May 26, 2011

Response to "Whistle while you work"

“Whistle while you work” has a nice rhythm to it; this aspect of the poem was the first noticeable to me. The stresses seem a bit iambic pentameter-esque, which always gives a poem a nice sound. I like the sound “e” sound in the lines three and four. I have to say, the whole poem confuses me a bit. I’m not exactly sure what the poem is “getting at.” The second characteristic of the poem I recognized was the end rhyme, which sounded a bit elementary to me. However, I did enjoy the end rhyme in the last lines of both stanzas. I felt as though that tied the poem together quite nicely. The line “when only days will suffice” is the most confusing line for me. Days will suffice for what? I feel as though the poet could have gone into more detail about what the days will suffice for, as well as a couple of other instances in the poem. The word “inhibit” seems forced just to create an end rhyme in the second line. Also, the line “Their meaning lessens/with every session” confuses me. What exactly is a session? Is it a particular time period or a particular sitting? I guess I’m a little confused on the vague language of this word and suffice. These words aren’t seen very often, but I’m not sure they are used correctly because they leave the reader asking what they mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment