Monday, June 20, 2011

"Diamonds in the Rough"


“Diamonds in the Rough” started out, for me, a very promising story that ended in disappointment. I very much liked the beginning, although the first couple of sentences were a little over-written. I loved the description of walking through the cold with his mom and into the jewelry store; I think he very accurately portrayed a child. I especially loved the sentence, “Nobody had seen it happen so I decided I wouldn’t cry.” I literally laughed out loud as I read this, thinking about the theatrics of children and the stretches for attention they create. I had some very serious problems with this story, however. What is the title referring to? Humans? Ras and his brothers? His mother? It was confusing to me. Also, he adds in very serious tidbits about his family that are not explained, such as his brother Mathew not being his mother’s child and his mother being a flaw of nature. Either don’t add these very personal touches to this essay, or explain further. I’d like to know more about Ras’ family because the beginning is so personal. Also, is this a personal essay or a memoir? It starts of as a memoir but has random facts strewn in without any order or signification that it is a personal essay. There is no transition between facts and memory. The end killed the piece for me. He throws in a lot of opinion such as : “because you will never hear the end of it.” Is this from personal experience? When did this switch occur in the story? He went from description to seemingly complaining about diamonds and our culture’s outlook on them. Then he goes back to his mother again, but doesn’t explain his reasoning. I completely do not understand the last sentence. He is trying to stretch and make connections between scientific things, but when did we move from family to jewels to diamonds to snow to water to cremation? I am utterly confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment